PRS Guitars was recently able to purchase more than 150 curly maple tops from the outskirts of a Graveyard on top of a mountain on the East Coast of the USA. The Gravestones were dated around 1884, and the trees were clearly at least that old as they were forty feet to the first limb. The trees were logged in 2017, and the tops very closely resemble the wood utilized on guitars coming out of Kalamazoo in 1959. Paul Smith said it appeared to him to be some sort of sub-species of “Michigan” red maple, but with more thought it may just be the age of the tree. Regardless, these are Private Stock quality tops with medium wide to wide curl and extraordinary flame that has an iridescence to it.
For this limited edition Graveyard Guitar, the PRS Private Stock team has spec’d a beautiful, vintage-inspired McCarty 594. Notable specifications include solid red abalone birds and headstock eagle, curly maple binding along the fingerboard and veneer, and thin, vintage nitro Honey Gold with a Dark Cherry Smoked Burst finish (weather checking will happen over time).
This PRS Private Stock McCarty 594 “Graveyard Limited” will be limited to 80 pieces.
- Model: McCarty 594
- Neck wood: Figured mahogany
- Fingerboard wood: Madagascar rosewood with curly maple binding
- Top wood: “Graveyard” curly maple
- Back wood: African mahogany
- Headstock Veneer wood: Madagascar rosewood with curly maple binding
- Neck Carve: Pattern Vintage
- Side Dots: Black
- Color / Stain: Honey Gold with Dark Cherry Smoked Burst
- Fingerboard inlays: Solid shell red abalone birds
- Headstock veneer inlays: Solid shell red abalone Private Stock eagle
- Finish type: “Vintage” nitro
- Pickups: Treble: 58/15 Bass: 58/15 LT
- Electronics: Two volumes, two push-pull tone controls with 3-way toggle
- Hardware: Nickel PRS 2pc stoptail, phase III set screw locking tuning pegs with ivoroid buttons, African mahogany backplates as well as a bone nut
- Set-Up: D’Addario .010
- Case type: Private Stock Paisley
- Specials: Honey Gold with Dark Cherry Smoked Burst “vintage” nitro finish, solid shell red abalone bird inlays as well as curly maple binding along the fingerboard and headstock veneer. This guitar is one of an eighty piece “Graveyard” Limited Run.