The J-MOD 100 amplifier was intimately designed by Paul Reed Smith, Doug Sewell, and John Mayer to not only handle Mayer’s live work with Dead & Company, but to also move seamlessly into recording and performing Mayer’s solo work. With a thoughtful control platform, impeccable build, and high-quality components, the J-MOD 100 is a fully-realized, high-end piece of audio gear for players who want the purest and most expressive musical experience.
The J-MOD 100 amplifier is a single channel amp featuring a switchable gain stage and effects loop. The amp’s tone stack features a beautiful, spread out tone that is at once huge and clear. When the gain stage is kicked in, the amp gets rich in harmonics and delivers a bit more bite. The versatility provided by this setup allows the J-MOD 100 to deliver a huge variety of sounds whether using singlecoils or humbuckers.
Additional tone-sculpting features include a bright switch, which adds more high-end to your tone, and a presence control that boosts the high-end in the power amp section of the amplifier, giving you a livelier, more complex tone. There is no reverb built into the J-MOD 100, but an effects loop was requested by Mayer for his reverb tanks. The amp’s effects loop (and gain boost) is controlled by the footswitch, so players can use any reverb or effects unit desired with this amp.
- Watts: 100 (nominal)
- Channels: Single-Channel with Switchable Gain Stage and Effects Loop
- Power Tubes: 4 x 6L6
- Preamp Tubes: 4 x 12AX7/ECC83S
- Output Transformer: Cinemag Texas 100
- Output Jack Configuration: Two parallel Jacks with 4 and 8 Ohm selector switch, one 16 Ohm jack. (3 total jacks)
- Fixed/Adjustable or Cathode Bias: Fixed (adjustable)
- Dimensions (Unboxed): 26” Wide, 10” Tall, 10” Deep
- Weight: 39.8 lbs
- Colors: Stealth with Salt and Pepper Grill Cloth and Gold Piping