New Collings D1A Varnish in stock. Features a hand-rubbed Varnish finish, 1 3/4" nut, "Vintage Now" neck and bridge.
The square-shouldered 14-fret dreadnought is the most popular steel-string acoustic guitar body shape in the world. While Collings is certainly not the only company to build them, we bring a new tonal clarity to the depth and warmth usually associated with such a large, deep-bodied guitar. Although its bass response makes the dreadnought ideal for vocal
accompaniment, Collings versions are also often employed by bluegrass flatpickers who must compete with inherently louder instruments such as banjos and fiddles. The wide range of woods and neck sizes offered allow dreadnought fans to find a Collings model ideally suited to their playing style and tonal preference.
The "Vintage Now" has slightly wider spacing at the saddle (2 5/16") with 1 3/4" at the nut. This neck is slightly larger than the standard (non-vintage) profile, but is not quite as large as some of the chunkiest vintage Martin necks. This neck has more of a vintage feel, but is more palatable than the standard Vintage neck (see below) to a lot of players. The neck shape is slightly rounder (less V) in the lower position and moves towards a modified V shape as you go up the neck. The neck depth (including the fingerboard) is typically .845" at the 1st fret and .960" at the 9th fret. The fingerboard width measures 2.195" at the 12th fret.
- Top Adirondack spruce
- Back & Sides Honduran mahogany
- Neck Honduran mahogany
- Body Binding Tortoise with b/w/b/w top purfling
- Fingerboard Binding None
- Peghead Binding None
- Bridge Ebony belly-style with 2 3/16" spacing
- Fingerboard Ebony with MOP long dots
- Bridge Pins/End Pin Ebony with MOP dot
- Nut Bone, 1 3/4"
- Saddle Bone, drop-in
- Neck Profile Modified V
- Peghead Profile Tapered square
- Neck Joint Mortise & tenon hybrid
- Truss Rod Fully adjustable
- Frets Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer Ebony with MOP Collings logo
- Tuners Nickel Waverly (16:1 ratio)
- Backstrip 1-style (Walnut)
- Rosette b/w Purfling
- Scale Length 25 1/2"
- Brace Material Sitka spruce
- Brace Pattern Pre-war scalloped X-brace
- Fingerboard Radius 14" - 26" compound
- Body Finish Varnish
- Neck Finish Varnish
- Pickguard Tortoise
- Strings D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"- .056")
- Case Deluxe hardshell case by TKL